The Department of Homeland Security said Friday following an American airstrike that killed a top Iranian general that Tehran posed no “credible threat” to the United States.
That said, the acting director of DHS, Chad Wolf, said that his agency, like all other appropriate U.S. agencies responsible for national security, would remain vigilant in the aftermath of the drone strike that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ elite Quds Force.
Wolf said he convened a leadership meeting Thursday and another Friday morning to assess the situation, but DHS does not yet see any dangers.
“While there are currently no specific, credible threats against our homeland, DHS continues to monitor the situation and work with our federal, state and local partners to ensure the safety of every American,” said Wolf, the Washington Times reported.
“I commend the President’s decisive action to protect American lives both abroad and at home. The Department of Homeland Security stands ready to confront and combat any and all threats facing our homeland,” he continued.
“As a result of yesterday’s military action, I convened senior DHS leadership last night and earlier this morning to assess potential new threats and component actions to respond to the constantly evolving threat landscape,” Wolf added.
“The entire Department remains vigilant and stands ready, as always, to defend the Homeland.”
The State Department, meanwhile, issued an advisory to Americans in Iraq, telling them they should leave immediately because they could be targeted for reprisal attacks.
“U.S. citizens should not approach the embassy,” the department cautioned.