Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has provided an important update regarding his wife, first lady Casey DeSantis, following her treatment for breast cancer.
“I have a positive update about my wife Casey DeSantis. After going through both treatment and surgery for breast cancer, she is now considered cancer-free,” DeSantis said in a video posted to social media.
“All of you who have had thoughts and prayers that have been given to my family and my wife, thank you for doing that. It’s lifted her spirits and made a tremendous difference,” he continued.
“For all the women out there who are going through breast cancer right now – you can overcome this,” DeSantis added.
“I know it’s very difficult, but my wife is proof positive, and this is the exact type of news we had hoped for. She still has more to do, but I’m confident she’s going to make a full recovery. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. God bless you all,” the Republican governor concluded.
— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) March 3, 2022
The Florida first lady herself took to social media to provide an update as well.
“There are no words to express how truly blessed, grateful and humbled I am to hear the words cancer-free. To those who are in the fight, know there is hope,” Casey DeSantis said. “Have faith and stay strong.”
Democrats and left-wing pundits were blasted by critics after they riffed on Gov. DeSantis, accusing him in early January of “missing” the past week when in fact, he wasn’t.
Not only was the GOP governor in his office most of the week, but the one time he stepped out, he did so to attend to his wife, who was being treated.
The Daily Wire noted:
One of Florida Republican Governor Ron DeSantis’ challengers in this year’s gubernatorial race faced significant backlash online on New Year’s Eve over a tweet that some interpreted as a cheap shot at DeSantis, who recently accompanied his wife to her cancer treatment as critics claimed he was missing in action.
“As governor, I’ll show up,” Democrat Nikki Fried tweeted.
DeSantis’ press secretary, Christina Pushaw, pushed back on the claims in tweeting out screenshots of his public schedule that show his activities as governor:
- Erick Erickson, radio host: “The Governor was with his wife for her cancer treatment. This is gross stuff. He showed up where it mattered most. It kills me I can’t go with my wife to her oncology visits because of hospital guidelines. I’m glad DeSantis was able to be with his wife.”
- John Cardillo, political commentator: “This trash lowlife knows DeSantis was with his wife at her cancer treatment. Hey @NikkiFriedFL , remember when you showed up at Ft. Lauderdale PD and abused your office to cover the domestic between you and your now fiancé?”
- Liz Mair, political strategist: “Nikki Fried placing a LOT of bets here that the online left has got it right in claiming DeSantis wasn’t really with his wife for cancer treatment… and I don’t think we have a Sanford situation here so the odds look pretty long for her…Charlie Crist probably thrilled with this tweet and where this could all be headed, quite frankly.”
- Curtis Houck, editor: “Attacking a guy for going to his wife’s cancer treatments to own the cons[ervatives].”
- Christina Pushaw, DeSantis press secretary: “But if someone you love gets cancer, you wouldn’t show up to their treatments? Wow.”
- Travis Wester, political commentator: “Referring to being there for your spouse during her cancer treatment as ‘giving up’ is the kind of cheap shot that makes the vote a referendum on you, not your opponent. Good luck Nikki.”