Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases who is also currently serving as chief medical adviser to President Biden, was blasted on Sunday following personal attacks that he launched against Republican senators.
Fauci’s remarks came during an interview on CBS News’ “Face The Nation,” hosted by Margaret Brennan, in which he claimed, “I’ve stayed away from politics my entire life.”
Fauci, who made the remarks during an interview on CBS News’ “Face The Nation” with host Margaret Brennan, claimed during the same interview, “I’ve stayed away from politics my entire life.”
Lawmakers like Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have called for Dr. Fauci to step down and be prosecuted over the course of COVID-19. Fauci scoffs at such threats, calling it "noise."
"They're really criticizing science because I represent science. That's dangerous." pic.twitter.com/zLzceD2DHe
— Face The Nation (@FaceTheNation) November 28, 2021
“Anybody who spins lies and threatens and all that theater that goes on with some of the investigations and the congressional committees and the Rand Pauls and all that other nonsense, that’s noise, Margaret, that’s noise,” Fauci said, mentioning the Kentucky Republican who has consistently called Fauci out over denials that his agency funded gain of function research at a lab in Wuhan, China, believed to be the origin of COVID-19.
At one point he was asked about a remark from Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, who said Fauci ought to be prosecuted. Fauci laughed it off, responding, “Yeah. I have to laugh at that. I should be prosecuted? What happened on Jan. 6, senator?”
He went on to claim that Republicans who are accusing him are simply “lying” and are trying to protect former President Donald Trump.
“And if you’re attacking me, you’re really attacking science,” Fauci claimed. “I mean, everybody knows that.”
Here are some of the most notable responses to Fauci, per The Daily Wire:
- Jeryl Bier, journalist: “This is not helpful in any way. This is almost word for word something a cult leader would say. This persuades no one not already in his corner.”
- Richard Grenell, former Acting Director of National Intelligence: “Fauci is all about politics.”
- Alicia Smith, political commentator: “Look, you don’t have to be some Fauci conspiracy theorist to recognize that Fauci’s utility as a trusted public health official has long since expired, and he tends to be a net negative when it comes to clarity and trust.”
- Steve Guest, Special Adviser for Communications for Senator Cruz: “Dr. Fauci’s flippant response underscores how he views himself as Democrat political operative first and ‘scientist’ last. Fauci lives to weaponize his white lab coat to suit his partisan aims and win plaudits from the DC swamp.”
- Larry Sanger, ex-founder of Wikipedia: “Fauci is a bureaucrat, not a scientist.”
- Matt Whitlock, political strategist: “Now I want to know what Dr Fauci thinks happened on January 6th that Senator Cruz should be prosecuted for. Genuinely don’t understand the strategy of continuing to have him on Sunday shows almost every week — the audience he can influence only continues to shrink.”
- Noam Blum, Tablet Magazine: “An appallingly bad thing for someone in his position to be saying. Not a shred of humility about any of the things he got wrong, had to waffle on, or later took back or equivocated. Instead goes all Fauci XIV and says ‘la science c’est moi.’ Yikes.”
- Dan McLaughlin, National Review: “Is Dr. Fauci under the impression that nobody is being prosecuted for Jan. 6? Or is he saying Ted Cruz should be prosecuted for speech & debate on the Senate floor?”