(USA Features) Vice President Mike Pence said President Donald Trump was “not happy” with the Chinese government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak and failure to disclose the seriousness of the disease.
“The president’s made it clear he’s not happy,” Pence told “Fox News Sunday,” adding that the administration is currently looking into the situation and analyzing options.
“We’re going to make proper inquiries into this at the proper time” of the Chinese government, he continued.
The president has been emphasizing of late China’s culpability in the creation and spread of coronavirus, which has sickened some 2.1 million people and killed nearly 162,000 as of this writing — 40,000 in the U.S. alone.
“If they were knowingly responsible, certainly. If it was a mistake, a mistake is a mistake. But if they were knowingly responsible, yeah, then there should be consequences,” Trump said on Saturday.
“I haven’t ruled out anything — I want to look at the facts as they come in,” he added.
Pence noted further that the U.S. was conducting close to 150,000 coronavirus tests per day, but that more could be done because some labs remain underutilized.
“We think we can double that number by working with governors to activate all of the laboratories in their state,” he said.
That should help states begin to reopen their economies as per the president’s newly-issued guidelines last week.