(USA Features) U.S. Attorney General William Barr said noted in an interview published Monday that the criminal probe into the origins of the FBI’s counterintelligence probe into the 2016 Trump campaign was proceeding despite the coronavirus outbreak.
“There’s some discombobulation, but part of what we’re trying to do is keep up the mission,” Barr told The Wall Street Journal regarding the probe being conducted by Connecticut-based U.S. Attorney John Durham.
Barr said the prosecutor was in Washington, D.C., last week working on the investigation with senior staffers at the Justice Department.
The AG said the DoJ is committed to proceed with criminal investigations, prioritize coronavirus-related fraud prosecutions, keep the justice system functional during court closures and trial suspensions, and other Trump administration priorities during the outbreak.
Last week, reports noted that Durham’s probe is likely to be finished by summer, according to sources who spoke to Fox News.
One source “suggested the investigation could end as soon as July.” But another “said it could be closer to September, based on Durham’s progress, which could be hindered by the coronavirus pandemic rocking the nation and the globe.”
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) said this month the investigation is “due to be completed sometime this summer.”