(USA Features) Former Secretary of State and 2016 Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton has retracted an earlier apology for secretly using an email server while in office that FBI officials believe was hacked by foreign governments.
“As I look back at it now, even though it was allowed, I shouldn’t have used two accounts. That was a mistake. I’m sorry about that. I take responsibility,” she told ABC News in September 2015.
However, in a new Hulu documentary titled “Hillary,” released on Friday, the former first lady said she now regrets the apology and listening to her campaign advisers.
“We’ll just say what you did was a mistake. It was dumb. It’s over. And that will end it. I wasn’t convinced of that. But I understood the frustration of my campaign,” Clinton said. “So against my better judgment, I said, ‘OK, fine.’”
“It turned out to be a mistake because look at all the oxygen it was sucking out of my campaign. But it didn’t end it,” she added. “It didn’t end it at all. And it never ended, it never ended.”
House investigators looking into the death of U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three American operatives in a terrorist attack in Libya on Sept. 11, 2012, uncovered the secret server.
Clinton and her closest staff all used the server for their email, and FBI investigators later found that hundreds of classified emails had been moved to it. Also, former FBI Director James Comey, in a July 5, 2016 statement stating the bureau would not recommend charges against Clinton for mishandling of classified information, said it’s “possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton’s personal e-mail account.”
The New York Times reported the next day that experts believe her server was ‘probably’ hacked.
Clinton deleted 30,000 emails from the server and even went so far as to have devices professionally wiped and then physically destroyed.